Define Computer Hardware
It is quite well known that the working of the computer is pulled by hardware and software. One can define computer hardware as the electronic, magnetic, and electric devices that carry out the computing functions. Hardware is the physical components of the computer like microprocessor, hard disks, RAM, and motherboard. The peripheral devices such as monitor, mouse, keyboard, printer, and speakers can also be included in the list of hardware parts. The programs that run on the computers like Windows, C++, and Photoshop are the software parts of the computer. A good example for an easy understanding of hardware-software definition is music CDs. The actual compact disk is the hardware, while the songs and music in the CD are the software parts.
There is another way to define computer hardware. Hardware devices are the executors of the commands provided by software applications. For example, let us see what happens when you click the print button of the web browsing software. The software application provides a command to the processor, which is the central part of all computer hardware. Processor in turn checks for an attached printer. If the printer is ready, the software will get a positive response from the processor. Then the software application provides instruction to the printer via the processor to print the web page. In that sense, hardware parts are the foot soldiers and software applications are the commanders in the digital operation that takes place within a computer.
The main player of computer hardware is undoubtedly the microprocessor. It is the sun in the solar system of computer hardware devices. It is the central component and all other components work around it. It is an integrated chip on which a number of functions are incorporated. Two specifications determine its efficiency. One is its processing speed, which is measured in gigahertz. The other is its bit rate. Commonly available processors are 32 bit and 64 bit. The bit rate is a measure of the efficiency of a processor to carry out multiple operations at the same time.
One cannot define computer hardware without mentioning the two types of memory used in computers. One is permanent memory. It refers to the magnetic storage capacity of hard disk. It is measured in gigabytes. The second is RAM or random access memory. This memory is able to store data only when the computer is switched on. The memory will lose all the data when the computer is switched off.
Another important product that one should mention when one defines computer hardware is motherboard. It is the electric and electronic circuit board on which all the other components are inserted. There are several other kinds of products such as sound card, video card, network card, and modem that complete the hardware spectrum.
Computer Hardware:- It is best described as any physical component of a computer system that contains a circuit board, ICs, or other electronics. A perfect example of hardware is the screen on which you are viewing this page. Whether it be a computer monitor, tablet or Smartphone; it’s hardware.
Without any hardware, your computer would not exist, and software could not be used. The picture is a Logitech webcam, an example of an external hardware peripheral. This hardware device allows users to take videos or pictures and transmit them over the Internet.
Types of Hardware:-
Internal Hardware External Hardware
Internal Hardware:- Hardware that is found inside your computer and may be found in a computer is known as internal hardware.
Ex. Internal Hardware:-
4. Heat Sank
7. Network Card
8. Sound Card
9. SMPS(Switched Mode Power Supply)
1. Motherboard:- It is known as main part of the computer. It is also known as System Board.It is the main printed board which contain socket that accept power and communicate with CPU and RAM.
2. Processor (CPU):-A processor handles all instruction that receives from hardware and software.
3. Fan:- A hardware device that keeps the overall computer or a computer device cool by circulating air to or from the computer or component. The picture is an example of a fan on a heat sink. It is located on the top of the processor or CPU. That helps to pull bellow hot air of the processor and helping cooler.
4. Heat Sink:- A heat sink is an electronic device that incorporates either a fan or a palter device to keep a hot component such as a processor cool.
5. Network Card:- It is an expansion card that enables a computer to connect to a network; such as a home network, or the Internet using an Ethernet cable with an RJ-45 connector.
6. Sound Card:- A sound card is an expansion card or IC for producing sound on a computer that can be heard through speakers or headphones. Although the computer does not need a sound device to function, they are included on every machine in one form or another, either in an expansion slot or built into the motherboard (onboard).
7. SMPS(Switched Mode Power Supply):- A switched-mode power supply (SMPS) is an electronic circuit that converts power using switching devices that are turned on and off at high frequencies, and storage components such as inductors or capacitors to supply power when the switching device is in its non-conduction state.
8. Modem:- A modem modulates outgoing digital signals from a computer or other digital device to analog signals for a conventional copper twisted pair telephone line and demodulates the incoming analog signal and converts it to a digital signal for the digital device.
External Hardware:- Hardware that found outside of the computer is known as External Hardware.
Ex. Of External Hardware.
Restored Computer Hardware
Hardware is an aspect of your computer that doesn’t require the need to be changed that often, unlike software. So if your hardware shouldn’t need to be changed that often you want to make sure that when you purchase it you are buying a piece of hardware that will last.
A lot of people overlook the need and responsibility of PC hardware and instead concentrate primarily on software. Without the correct hardware your PC will fail to function correctly.
The term hardware can be fixed to many aspects of your computer, with the main aspect being your motherboard. The motherboard is classed as the heart of your computer; its main purpose is to provide electrical and logical connections. Without a motherboard your computer will not be able to function. Components such as external storage, controllers for video display and sound are attached to the motherboard via edge connectors and cables.
The central processing unit (CPU) is also found on the motherboard and acts as another important piece of computer hardware. The CPU performs most of the calculations which enables a computer to function. The CPU and the motherboard are found within the tower of your computer as is the computer fan, needed to keep your computer at a safe temperature and your power supply, which is obviously needed to ensure your computer has power to function. Along with all of these you will also find your computers sound card and graphics card within your computer tower. Your graphics card, also known as a video display controller, is important to your computer as it is what enables you to get a good resolution and without one you would not be able to watch videos, play games or even clearly see flash images on websites.
One last hardware feature of importance that is kept within your computer tower is the computers hard drive. The hard drive is the storage area of your computer system. All your programmes and applications as well as images, music, video and all forms of media that is on your computer are stored within your computers hard drive.
All of the previously mentioned hardware is stored in the tower of your computer but there are aspects of computer hardware that are visible on your computer such as removable media in the form of a CD drive, DVD drive, floppy disc and USB ports.
When it comes to buying these pieces of computer hardware most people head straight to the biggest brand store and pay over expensive prices for hardware that you could have got a lot cheaper from another avenue. If you are looking to buy computer hardware there are a number of options open to you rather than just buying new. For example there are computer fairs that are held, which sell all forms of computer hardware at very reasonable prices; if you know what you are looking for you will be able to find a great deal at a computer fair. However if you would prefer buying from a retailer have you considered buying used hardware? Please don’t be put off by the term used what is meant by this is you would be buying new hardware that has been returned by customers and restored by the retailer. Dell is a prime example of a store that frequently sells hardware that has been returned and has been repaired to new standards.
All of the equipment is new and only has minor issues such as a slight dent. Retailers such as Dell sell restored equipment within their store and also do so over the Internet on sites such as eBay. All of this equipment comes at a discounted price with around 10-40% being taken off the original price depending on the level of interest. So next time you require to purchase computer equipment, shop around instead of just settling for a high price.
Computer Hardware Components and Accessories
Computers are made of different components or parts, collectively known as PC hardware. Some of the main hardware PC units include CPU, mouse, display screen monitor, hard disk, keyboard, CD drive, etc. You can buy a computer from a branded company or purchase an assembled model through a professional computer software person. Many a times, when some parts of a computer get corrupted, you can also buy separate components from any online or offline computer dealers.
Likewise computer hardware parts also do include novel items such as scanners, sound cards, internet modems and even digital cameras. But, every computer has individual properties like RAM memory, CPU model details, etc which may vary from other computers.
Let us study about some of the most important computer hardware parts:
* CPU – This part is the brain of the computer. It is known as Central Processing Unit and works as a processor. The most popular processors are manufactured by Intel popular as the Pentium Chip model. Intel processors are widely used all over the world by most of the computer manufacturing companies.
* Mouse – This hardware is essential for desktop models as navigational object, to click on varied options, selecting different objects and accessing necessary information on the computer screen. There are two main buttons in the mouse, to be used to access info. Nowadays, you can find interesting types of mouse in the market such as laser mouse or ball mouse. But, they all serve the same purpose to help access computerised info from the CPU.
* Hard Disk – This is a device that helps in storing data. The all-round performance of any computer actually depends on the speed of its hard disk. Higher rotational speed of the hard disk enables fast and high speed performance by that particular computer.
* RAM – It is also known as Random Access Memory, which aids in storing of temporary information in the CPU. When you switch off the computer, such temporary info files are erased. The optimum performance of the computer also depends on the size of its RAM.
* Keyboard – This is one of the most important part in computer hardware. Keyboard helps users to enter specific commands by punching of alphabets, numbers or signs. There are other function keys like Control, Alter, delete, F keys, Page up, Page down, etc in the keyboard. There are a total of 101 keys in any standard keyboard, and designed in such a way so as to make typing faster and easier.
Other additional computer hardware includes scanner, joystick, external drive, printer and servers. Buying individual computer hardware parts can be a tedious task as there are variety of selection models, styles and designs to choose from. It is best to gather some basic first hand info about the specific computer hardware part that you intend to buy.
You can choose to buy from online computer hardware retail shops and other hardware dealers. Online directories can help you sort a list of potential manufacturers or retailers who are genuine and trustworthy.
Tips To Follow Before You Buy Computer Hardware
For a computer to perform as efficiently and effectively, good hardware configuration is a must. From the very basic functioning to running the most advanced softwares, the hardware set up holds the key. The component of a computer hardware usually includes keyboards, monitor, mouse, printers, scanners, Central Processing Unit (CPU), disk drives, digital flash drives, audio and video cards, motherboard, processor, graphic card, memory chips, RAM and cables. For proper programming and functioning of the computers, it is necessary that the above mentioned hardware is in proper functioning. However, while you are seeking to buy computer hardware, you need to recognize the several options you have at bay.
Although there are traditional ways you can opt while you look to buy computer hardware, you must also explore the dimension that online domain has brought forth. Today, there are innumerous hardware shops which operates online and facilitate online buying and selling of hardware products. The growing trend of online shopping provides you an array of options of choosing a large number of hardware products that are available under different brands and series. So, you may visit a large number of products with scrolls and clicks of the mouse.
If you favor visiting a hardware store to find out the suitable hardware product, then there are comprehensive benefits as well. Not only the fact that you can have a good look at the stuffs you are buying, there are technical staffs at your service who will intimate you with any of your latent queries.
Regardless of the fact that whether you decide to buy computer hardware online or from a dealer, there are certain things that you ought to take care of. In the following paragraph, we will discuss some of the key points that are necessary for you to remember before finalizing a deal.
1. Validation – Whether you are buying hardware articles from a retailer or via online, proper validation is an absolute necessity. This validation is in regards to whether a company selling computer hardware products is a registered one. There are few stores and websites which profess to deliver high grade products but in reality may ultimately fraud you by dumping the cheap computer hardware articles to you.
2. Reputation – Before you decide on the final buy, make sure that you have gained knowledge about the history of the company. In this regard, you may take references of the customers these companies have served and verify the record of their services as well the quality of products.
3. Reviews – It is a common fact that the online stores that sell computer peripherals and hardware accessories generally lists the impressive comments of the customers and upload them on the website. So, in order to derive the unbiased side of the story, you can rely on the reviews. These reviews which are written by professionals and experts uphold the unprejudiced views about a company, the services they render and also the customer’s comments. Thus, before you decide to purchase hardware or computer peripherals from a traditional store or via internet, make sure we have made a thorough glance over these reviews.
4. Quotes – If you wish to avail hardware articles at budget friendly price, then always ask for quotes from the company. Almost all the online hardware shops have a separate page wherein you can request a quote and they will get back to you through e-mail. So, before closing a final deal, make sure that you have availed quotes from multiple companies. High prices seldom determine quality of a product, so devote time to avail something that will suit your budget as well as leave its mark in terms of quality. The same applies when you decide to buy hardware from regular computer stores. Make sure that you have visited such multiple shops and have acquired the approximate costs and then decide accordingly.
While you wish to avail hardware products, at a low price, you need not necessarily have to compromise with quality. So while buying hardware, look around every possible niche, research every brand and finally make invest your resources to make sure that you get the best thing for your system.
Things to Consider When You Want to Buy Computer Hardware
The business of computer hardware is becoming highly lucrative today owing to the fact that many do buy computer hardware for one reason or the other. Buying computer hardware may not be always easy whether you are buying it through the internet or in the brick and mortar shops. There are certain things that you should consider before you order. Your chances of getting good ones depend on the manner you shop for it. If you can do your homework very good, you will surely get good hardware. If you buy anything without checking it out, then of course you may not get a good product.
For your computer to work effectively, you need to go for the best computer parts available on the market. No matter how good the software you have is, if you do not buy computer hardware with good quality, it may not work effectively. In order to do this, it is necessary that you have adequate knowledge about the various components of computer hardware. This will help you to know the most essential hardware parts that you cannot do without. For instance, many people do not know that the motherboard is the most essential component of a computer that carries out both mathematical and logical operations in your computer.
Another thing that you should consider when you want to buy computer hardware is the purpose for which you want to use your computer. This will determine the quality and brand you will need. For instance, if you are going to be using your computer for commercial purposes and on a 24-hour basis, you will need a high quality computer. You cannot compromise quality in such cases. You need to consider the brand and the model of your computer before you order any hardware. If you choose anything, you may end up not getting the best and end up having to buy something else, costing you more money. The bottom line, when it comes to computer hardware, shop around and research every brand to ensure you get the best hardware for your computer.
Global Computer Hardware Industry – Growth of Different Segments
The impact of global recession on the computer hardware companies is left behind and they are back on the progress track. It seems that the forecasts that were made before recession are going to turn true. Different segments of the computer hardware industry are growing with improvement in their design and functionality and rise in their demand.
Not only the big hardware manufacturers, but the small and medium sized enterprises too are making big contributions towards the industry growth at a global level. Below you can find few sections that analyze the growth of computer hardware industry segments in different countries.
Before that, here is a list of the main segments of the computer hardware industry:
• Finished goods like computers and laptops.
• Networking hardware consisting of routers, modems, network cards, network adapters, hubs and switches and other components.
• Storage hardware ranging from the hard disks to the USB storage devices.
• Input and output peripherals like keyboard, mouse, scanners, video cards, speakers, headphones, game controllers and so on.
• System hardware consisting of motherboards, UPS, monitors and other components.
Personal Computer Market
In 2008, the global PC market generated the revenue of $203.7 billion that represented the compound annual growth rate of 8 percent from 2004 to 2008. The PC market in China had total worth of $21.8 billion in 2008 representing the total compound annual growth rate of over 14 percent. The United States PC market generated $50.6 billion in 2008 showing 3.8 percent compound annual growth rate.
An impressive growth of 42 percent was shown by the PC sales between October and December 2009 in the Indian market. The 52 percent of the desktops sold were contributed by the multinational computer companies and 13 percent by the Indian hardware manufacturers. The remaining 35 percent consisted of assembled desktops.
Growth of Other Segments
From October to December 2009, the Indian hardware market witnessed the 70 percent growth of laser printers. The dot matrix printers grew by 13 percent while the inkjet printers grew by 17 percent over the same period in India. The UPS market too recorded the growth rate of 28 percent during the period.
In Chin, the total revenue generated from the networking hardware was $4.8 billion in 2008. For the same year, the network hardware growth in the United States was $23 billion. The total revenue for the global network hardware market in 2008 was $112.8 billion. Also, the global storage hardware and peripheral market recorded the revenue of $160.3 billion in 2008.
The Future Trends
Going by the latest growth rate, the global hardware market is expected to attain the worth of $537.3 billion by 2012. The computer hardware manufacturers have started following the concept of green computer hardware manufacturing and this is further going to add to the profits of the computer hardware companies.
The small and medium sized hardware manufacturers from the developing countries like India have a great future in the computer hardware components. They along with the major players are going to take the computer hardware industry to a new level in the nearby future.
Computer Hardware Guide
Does the technical name of different component of a computer, such as RAM, processor, scare you off?
In this article, we will be covering most of the hardware in regardless of the form size (physical size of the computer casing)
Essential Computer Hardware consists of
Hard Disk Drive
Power Supply / Casing
Keyboard / Mouse
This is the biggest piece of hardware in the system. This is where various other essential components connect onto it, such as CPU, Ram, Hard Disk drive, etc, to it. Modern mid-range mainboard usually comes with add-on component such LAN port, sound card and graphics card.
As other hardware connects to the mainboard, it is important to ensure that the mainboard purchased is of high caliber and has at least the add-on component as stated in the paragraph above.
Central Processing Unit (CPU)
This is one of the computer hardware that determines the speed of the whole system. The other determining hardware are the RAM and Hard Disk Drive. Single Core CPUs are almost obsolete and are much slower compared to their Dual Core / Quad Core counterparts.
Usually a numeric figure is stated and that is the clock frequency, commonly known as the speed of the CPU. Usually the higher the clock frequency, the faster your data can be processed.
Known as Random Access Memory, are memory chips where data are temporary stored. By storing the data on RAMs, the CPU is able to process the data in a shorter period which leads faster execution of the instructions and tasks assigned to the computer.
Usually a numeric figure (in Gb) is stated and that is the physical size of data the RAM is able to store.
Hard Disk Drive
This computer hardware keeps all data permanently, unlike the RAM which will erase data if the computer is shut down. Comes in sizes of 2.5″ (for laptop) and 3.5″ (for Desktop)
Usually a numeric figure (in Gb) is stated and comes in various capacity. A rough calculation Assuming a 4 min long music song is stored in mp3 format and takes up 4mb worth of space in the hard disk. 160Gb will be able to store around 40,000 songs!
As stated, this card is initially responsible for displaying images onto the monitor. However, due to the high rendering first-person-shooter games being produced, gamers will demand their graphics card to be better than the CPU. This is due to the fact that the graphic card will handle all taxing gaming images which the CPU was unable to process. To meet up the demands, even graphics cards are going dual core!
Power Supply Unit (PSU)
The life of the computer! This computer hardware sends power to various devices, such as the mainboard, hard disk drives, etc.
This is often the most overlooked hardware and is frequently compromised due to budget constraints. However, by cutting down on getting a good PSU, risks such as electric shock and under-current may occurs which could instantly destroy the mainboard and other hardware by providing the wrong current or voltage!!
Computer Casing / Chasis
Computer case is the tough armor to protect the dedicated various computer hardware.
Casing are important as they ventilate and regulate air flow to prevent overheating of the essential computer hardware.
Commonly known as CD-ROM / DVD-ROM or DVD Writers, this allows reading of various CDs/DVDs. ROM hardware are only able to read from CD / DVD, while DVD Writers enables writing (copying of data) to the discs.
The latest technology for Optical Drive is currently Blu-Ray ROM will allows reading of Blu-ray disc. Due to the high cost, it is not widely included in systems.
Is a visual display unit that shows images generated by the graphic card. CRT monitors that are working today are using older technology which consumes more power. Mainstream monitor manufactured are now mostly LCD due to their compact size and cheaper cost to manufacture.
LCD monitors come in various sizes, ranging from a minimum of 15″ to up to 70″!
Keyboard and Mouse
Is the hardware to input data and commands into the computer.
I hope that the above computer guide will assist you in having a further understanding of computer hardware.